The Long Summer Holiday

I can remember summers like this. The sun is shining and there’s nothing urgently needs to be done and there’s almost two whole months stretching out before me until the school year begins. It’s a familiar feeling but now it’s different.

My memory goes back to a time, 51 years ago - and to earlier summers - and the start of a new school term was one that filled me with dread and was something I could put out of my mind for most of the holiday until, for the last couple of weeks when I’d begin the countdown and hope it wouldn’t be as miserable as the last year and the one before etc., etc. Fifty years ago, at 16, I left on a Friday and began my working life the following Monday.

Things change. A friend told me that University of Limerick were beginning a Masters of Arts in Songwriting and thought that this sounded like a course ‘made for me’. The day I googled it was also the day after the application deadline but a couple of emails back and forth got me an interview/audition and now, I find myself very much looking forward to the 4th September start.




Not having a primary degree - or experience in college life - the next year is an unwritten book and I will try to post something here on the ups and downs of back to school half a century on. The EP? Basic recording is now done and files sent off to Nashville to be sprinkled with magic. I’m in the ‘waiting place’ on that for now but will post more anon.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How's it Going?

The Waiting Place

Convenience Stores