Back to School (at 66 and a half)


Wow!  Back in college after seven weeks away - and at 66 and a half today too.

I’m happy to say that all is now familiar here now and I have some idea of what’s ahead for the next three months or so.  This is in contrast to the first semester where, for the first two months I floated about the place, enjoying every minute though not realising that I should be relying on more than just my memory for assignments that seemed to sneak up on me.
If it wasn’t for the fact that I make up half of the cohort on the course - and that our course director, Carl Corcoran, is such a fine and supportive gentleman - I might well have baled out in mid-November.  I just felt that I wasn’t cut out to be an academic.  After a very dark weekend, I rearranged my thinking and decided that I could only do my best and that regardless of whether or not I end up with a certificate at the end of the year, there was a lot to be gained.

Last week, when I told my director about my apprehension about starting the second semester, he informed me that I needn’t worry and that I had passed everything.  A big surprise and a relief indeed.


Masters in Songwriting - the Movie  (click to open)


Last week, when I told my director about my apprehension about starting the second semester, he informed me that I needn’t worry and that I had passed everything.  A big surprise and a relief indeed.

The break was good and I busked in some of the coldest weather I’ve played in - including during a snow shower in December.  Almost twenty years after I began, I still love popping up and playing for a couple of hours in random places and enough people were happy to see me and showed their appreciation with a coin - or sometimes a note - that I was able to take a break and grab a cheap flight to Italy for some better weather in January.  It was my first time in Sicily (definitely won’t be the last) and I realised there how lucky I was when I noticed some very good buskers there that were hardly making enough for a sandwich.



I will post more on the Italy trip later but just wanted to post something today to mark the beginning of chapter two on this blog.

One thing that will be different for me this semester is that I will not have the company of my dog, Clara.  She is staying with neighbours in Roosky and won’t have to endure long days ‘minding the car’.  I think she’ll be much happier with the arrangement.  She stayed with the same neighbours while I was gallivanting in Italy, was spoiled rotten and happy to go back yesterday.  While I will miss her, I know it’s better for her and I also won’t have the pull to return to the car every couple of hours.

After a meeting today with Carl, it seems we have a very full on and exciting few months ahead - after which I will be doing the third and final semester externally and in the company of my dog.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How's it Going?

The Waiting Place

Convenience Stores